Thanks for a great year!
Thanks to all of our volunteers who have contributed to our trail building efforts this past year. We’ve had great support from the community, amazing turnouts for our monthly ShingDig trail work days, and only a couple of weather cancellations throughout the whole year. The big highlight for this year of course, was the completion of the new Columbine Trail. This new 2.5 miles of sweet single track from the Rainbow Trail to the Forest Service gate on CR101 provides yet another new fun trail experience for all!
Thanks also to our partners and supporters (alphabetical Order):
- Absolute Bikes
- Ark Valley Libation Society
- Arrowhead Trails
- Bureau of Land Management
- Chaffee County Commissioners
- Chaffee County Running Club
- City of Salida
- River’s Edge Bar & Restaurant
- Salida Bike Company
- Salida Mountain Sports
- Southwest Conservation Corps
- Salida Parks, Open Space and Trails
- Subculture Cyclery
- Tony Boone Trails
- US Forest Service
- Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado
For 2014 – We have some great plans and of course will continue to need your help and support:
- Cottonwood trail Project- From the junction of CR 175 & FS181 to the Backbone Trail (approximately 7 miles). This project will provide 6.1 miles of new (and existing) trail in the National Forest and will also allow use of an additional 1 mile of previously approved BLM trail, but not authorized until this 6.1 mile portion is completed. This trail project will provide the critical link needed to complete a 17-mile loop beginning and ending in downtown Salida utilizing the Arkansas Hills Trail System! Mike Sugaski is leading this effort. Contact him for more info firstname.lastname@example.org
- Arkansas Hills Trail System – The City of Salida will be completing purchase in January of 80 acres that will allow the existing South Backbone Trial to have legal egress and allow rerouting where necessary to remain sustainable over the long term. We will also begin planning and construction of additional trails in the area to provide substantial expansion of the Arkansas Hills Trail System! More details soon, this is huge!
- Methodist Mountain Trail System – We are developing a master plan for the Methodist Mountain side utilizing ideas from the Dream Trails presentation, input from the city, and collaboration with the BLM and Forest Service. Stay tuned for more details as this exciting plan is developed. Tom Purvis is leading this effort. Contact him for more info email@example.com
- We will be in touch early in 2014 for scheduling our next quarterly volunteer update meeting, and for info on fundraising and fun social stuff in the works.
A happy and healthy New Year to you all!